Sunday, November 29, 2009

Little Penang Cafe - The Curve

Hello darlings! Welcome to my first blog about food!

I have a tendency to eat out...a lot. So I was looking through some past facebook comments and someone was suggesting I should make a food blog of all the places I've eaten at!

Why not?!

I may not be the best critique, but I just enjoy showing where I've been and what I've eaten.

So usually I would be doing reviews about places in Melbourne, Ausralia, but I am currently in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, so might as well start from here no?

Last night I went to The Little Penang Cafe with a gaggle of relatives, funnily enough The Little Penang Cafe is owned by my Dad's cousin or something along those lines...I can't quite remember exactly!

Although there are a few chains (I tend to frequent the one in KLCC the most when I am in KL), we ended up at the joint in The Curve last night.

The place itself is quite nice, I enjoy the high ceilings and the casual, light decor makes me always feel like I'm having lunch even when it's dark out. It's quite a strange phenomenon actually.



As most places should be in KL on a Saturday night, the place was absolutely bustling, halfway through my meal I realised a queue was forming outside the restaurant!

Even though I've been coming to this place for years, the menu hasn't changed, which I suppose in same ways is nice, since I know I can always get my favourite dishes here!





So my uncle ordered a couple of dishes to share across the table, a few serves of lobak, pie tee and rojak (at my request).



The pie tee, which I only managed to grab one of was light and very tasty, especially topped with the chilli sauce. And crunchy of course!



I apologize for some of the photo qualities, as in true coffee shop style, the place was bustling and people and food were running around as fast as anything! The rojak is always delightful, I like it when the sauce isn't too sweet or overwhelming, which neither of this was.



I myself ordered the Chicken Nasi Lemak, which I enjoyed very much, the chicken curry was so flavorful, and not overly spicy. I am also an absolute sucker for the ikan bilies and peanuts...they have such a nice crunch and texture to them, although I think the dish came with steamed rice, and I think coconut rice would've been much nicer. Or if it was served with coconut rice, it definetly wasn't fragrant enough!



But all the same. MMmmm!



I also sampled my Grandma's Assam Laksa (the dish on the far right above) and although she told me it was very sour, I found myself very much enjoying the flavour! It was so delightfully tangy and refreshing after my curry!

I forgot to take a picture of it, but to drink I had hot barley water...one of my absolute favourite things to drink when I'm in Malaysia as I haven't come across anywhere outside of Malaysia that does it otherwise (although I suppose it woldn't be that hard to do at home myself, but that's beside the point!) I also love it cold on a hot day!



And of course to finish off, one must have dessert! And I, jumped straight at the chance to have some cendol! Cendol consists of coconut milk, green coloured noodles (made green and fragrant from pandan leaf I believe) and palm sugar. The variation at Little Penang Cafe has red beans and shaved ice as well, making it a nice and cool finisher. I would've personally loved to have had more red beans in it and maybe a little more coconut milk (I found it a bit weak) but otherwise, it was still absolutely tasty, especially when I haven't had it in months!

To sum up, even though the service in Little Penang Cafe is a bit abrubpt and not always particularily hospitible (they got a few of our drink orders wrong), it's really not what you come for or notice too much. In true coffee shop style, you just want to sit, order quick, get your food quick and enjoy simply tasty food.

No comments:

Post a Comment