Monday, June 20, 2011

Birdman Eating

I love restaurant websites.

Loooooove restaurant websites.

I can spend some evenings at home, in front of the tv, with my rainbow sock slippers on (which are sadly falling apart), macbook pro on my lap and perfectly happily going to websites and reading menus.

Yeah, I may be the biggest dork ever, but we all have our secret little pleasures right? Although I guess mine is not so much a secret now...

There was one evening I was browsing Birdman Eating's website. I didn't even realise they had one before then and even though the website is as hipster as heck, I liked it. Their menu, caught my eye even more.

Especially when I saw black pudding somewhere on it. I didn't even remember what was with it, but the following weekend, I was on a black pudding mission. Off to Birdman Eating Brad and I went!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Birdman Eating was popular. I think I had been put off visiting it for a while, as a friend who used to live nearby didn't like the place and thought it was overpriced, but still, it was certainly popular that weekend we were there. The little cafe was absolutely bustling when we got there, but fortunately it was only a short wait before we got a table outside. At least the sun was out!

Birdman Eating seems to be quite well known for their baked eggs, and they pop their specials on a board inside the restaurant, or if you're sitting outside, on the window. Although if you arrive at 12:30pm like we did...you may find that most of them have sold out. Which is a shame, I was really looking forward to trying something different in baked eggs, but it was only the more typical varieties that were left. Make do with what you can hey?

Photobucket

Brad doesn't tend to make much comment on his coffee, or his food usually when we go out, but after we left, he did make a point to say that he didn't really like his latte. So although it looks beautiful, was a bit of a disappointment. The milk looks like it's good though, maybe just the blend?

Photobucket

Photobucket

My chai latte came out in a cheerful red jug. I love it when chai's are sent out like this, always a bit of fun. I think it could have come out a tiny bit hotter though, especially seeing as I was sitting outside..

Photobucket

This little guy was sitting at the table next to us, couldn't stop staring at him the whole time (sorry Brad). He was SO cute.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Brad did end up going with the first baked egg dish on the menu, lentils, tomato and fetta. Classic, but hard to go wrong with. It was seriously chock-a-block with lentils though, reminded me of what my mum does now and again at home. Pretty good, but not mind blowing. Check out that blob of butter quietly melting on perfectly toasty toast! Mmmmmmmmmm.

Photobucket

Omnomnom. I did like how saucy it was though, I personally prefer it when the egg is not too cooked and is really getting mixed up with whatever's in there. Mmmm. Perfect bread dipping stuff.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I completed my black pudding mission with great aplomb....with an 'El Grande Cerdo', with your choice of either black pudding or chilli cheese kransky (but honestly, what choice is there to make?) with bubble and squeak, poached eggs, toast and pear and date chutney. I was actually quite surprised when I was looking through the menu, turned to Brad and asked "What the heck is bubble and squeak?" I honestly wasn't expecting an answer, but I was amazed when he responded that in London it was a dish usually with potatoes, peas and carrots...and stuff. I was absolutely tickled, teaching me about food now!

Although this leads on to more questions. Why is it called bubble and squeak? I'd personally be a little worried if I knew my potatoes were bubbly and squeaking...?

Photobucket

Photobucket

But back to the exciting stuff. Just look at the size of the black pudding!!!! Was quite bubbly when this arrived at our table. The black pudding was absolutely rich and decadent and hearty and the eggs were beautiful. Just look how gorgeous they are bleeding over all the potatoes....mmmmm. The chutney was also a nice little touch of sweetness, which went surprisingly well with the black pudding, made it a little less rich. It was a very heavy mix though, I actually had to concede and not finish everything...very much enjoyed what I did have though! They probably don't need to have the bread with all those potatoes I reckon (although the bread was so good in all it's crunchy goodness)!

Whilst it may be Birdman Eating, it's definitely not bird food here, the breakfast/brunch that Brad and I had was definitely super filling and quite hearty. Had to go for a little stroll afterward down Gertrude Street to digest afterwards! Although it just made me point out about 20 more places that I wanted to go eat at another day....

238 Gertrude St
Fitzroy, 3065

Birdman Eating on Urbanspoon