Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mjr Tom

All day eatery seems to be the new buzz word these days, with more and more eateries popping up to cover all hours of the day. Honestly, it’s something I’m more than happy to see, and is maybe a suggestion of Melbourne’s progression into more of a night time town (because if you compare us to somewhere like New York…? We got nothing happening). 



Mjr Tom (who’s spelling irks me a wee bit), is one of the newest all day eateries to open up on Smith Street. It caught my eye after a meal at Northern Light, as we were walking back to the car, with it’s shiny neon up above our heads and a slick looking timber fit-out with generous windows that folded open to make the outside inside and vice versa. 



The space is interesting, with indoor and outdoor seating at the very front, a corridor and then more seating and a bar out back. In the mornings, it’s definitely the smart thing to head straight out back and cosy up in the booths; it’s where the best lighting is as well! 





I loved the cup and little tray that my chai was presented on, the chai itself was nothing new or amazing, but perfectly comforting on a cool morning. 

The menu at Mjr Tom is interesting, slightly leaning towards a South American flavour, but with things that we’re well familiar with. 


Except for maybe this one. I choose to munch on the Banana Hot Dog, a roasted banana with bacon lardons, smoked scamorza, arepa, tomato marmalade, brazil nut shavings, green chilli and coriander salsa. 

What can I say. That’s a big banana. 


I’m surprised with the firmness of the banana, it’s not as tender or soft as I expected and surprisingly savoury. I love the kick of chilli, and the sweetness of the cheese gently melting over the top along with the tomato marmalade. They all combine nicely, although I don’t taste the brazil nut at all. I also love the crunch of the arepas at the top and the texture they provide, but am a little disappointed it’s not like a whole arepa wrapped around the banana or something. 

It’s a big flavour hit first thing in the morning, but it’s not the most filling dish. 


Brad opts for the Sarten (Hang Over Cure) with patatas braves, artichoke, morcilla, two fried eggs and a spicy paprika aioli. 

It’s simple, pure comfort food. Gooey egg yolks, a touch of crisp from the fried artichoke. I’m not a huge fan of potatoes for breakfast (it’s too American for me), but I could imagine this being really one of the best things ever after a big night out!


All in all, Mjr Tom is a pleasant little spot for breakfast, especially if you can get a booth seat. I’d be also interested to see what the dinner and night time scene is like, the pork knuckle has my name written aaalllll over it…

108 Smith Street
Collingwood 3066

Click to add a blog post for MJR TOM on Zomato 

No comments:

Post a Comment