Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kallista Tea Rooms

Photobucket

Photobucket

One rainy Sunday morning, a voucher deal in hand, David and I ventured back out into the land of green (the Dandenongs) for a little spot of lunch.

Parking was a little precarious as it was rainy and the parking areas were obviously outdoors, a little down a hill away from the cafe itself, uncovered and well, a little muddy. Fortunately I had the foresight to wear booties so I wasn't too badly affected by it!



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Kallista Tea Rooms had recently changed management, proudly announcing this with a big banner draped over the front of the cafe. The space is absolutely quaint, I kind of wish David and I had decided to sit on the other side of the restaurant with it's fiery and warming red walls, sort of with that cheery primary school feel, but in an organised cluttered adult-type style. Although our side, which I assume would typically be the sun room, if the sun was out, with it's large window panes, was also quite lovely, with relaxing views of the greenery and the roads going off into the sky.

It really felt like you were in someone else's house, with comfy rattan chairs which would have been perfect for curling up and reading a book in and some charming older wooden furniture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had a little friend check us out as we were eating...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Chai latte for me, english breakfast for David (I've discovered I'm much more of an earl grey kind of girl). I thought David's teacup was just so cute, the perfect shade of stone blue and of course, perfectly English, which made sense once he lifted up his cup to drink!

Photobucket

Feeling a bit bloated that day due to a prior night of partying and good times, I decided to do the responsible, healthy thing and get a nice warming vegetable soup. Which ended up being the perfect move due to the weather. Man, the soup was absolutely massive when it came out! Was quite flabbergasted when it was placed in front of me, it was piping hot and absolutely thick and creamy, but the way I like it, not chunky and not because it's filled with cream or some other filler. Quite excellent and warming for my poor tummy.

Photobucket

David got the mushrooms on toast with rocket and goats cheese. Not so attractive to look at but a pretty good serving, David was getting full about three quarters of the way through it!

Photobucket

So yeah. I might've been kinda bloated, but who can resist a good sweets display? Kallista Tea Rooms has this little smorgasbord which reminds me of get together's at my families place where everyone brings a little dessert and everyone nibbles on everything, it all just looks so hearty!

They also have a little fridge with all their cakes on display...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And after consulting the fridge, this ended up on our table. Flourless chocolate cake. But just look at the slice of cake! It's huge! And not to mention, heated up, so it was lovely and warm and just so intensely moist and rich. It was yet another absolutely gorgeous form of chocolatey death. And the cream on the side was the perfect match for it, I don't normally like cream just on the side like that, un-whipped, el-naturale, but it really went beautifully with the cake.

I think my waistline is growing bigger just thinking of that cake. Mmmmmm.

Overall, it was an absolutely lovely afternoon, our food was simple and hearty, decently priced in a cute, quaint and quirky little set up. The waitresses were also quite friendly, and hoped we would be back soon...although regrettably it is a bit far for me to be there on a regular basis, especially with all the other food and cafes in the heart of the city....

103 Monbulk Rd
Kallista, 3791

Kallista Tea Rooms on Urbanspoon