Saturday, December 29, 2012

Favourite Meals + Yummy Things in 2012...


Can you guys believe that 2012 is coming to an end already? So much has happened this year and it's great to know we all survived the Mayan apocalypse. Something to tell the grandkids a couple more years down the track hey?

This past year has been an unbelievable year and I've had some pretty awesome meals, met wonderful people and overall had a pretty grand old time. 

So I thought I would wrap up 2012 with just sharing a couple of my favourite meals or dishes this past year. I really do hate playing favourites, but these are just a few of the many meals that I particularly enjoyed, whether it be just for the food, the experience, the company, it's probably a combination of all the above really!


Although my main meals weren't the highlight for me here, I still very fondly remember the rhubarb cake. Mmmhmmm!


Does much more need to be said? I don't think I eat any other gelato on Lygon Street anymore. It makes me feel like a snob, but I think I've converted a lot of my friends too…so I'm not the only one!


Comforting, delicious food and drink, in a totally unpretentious and laid back environment. Haven't visited as much as I'd like, but have always had a good time here!


Of course this has to be on my top meals list! Brad and I went to Chez Olivier for our 2nd year anniversary and although not everything hit the top note, it was a lovely meal with incredibly memorable bone marrow…mmm….and good company. I guess. Hehe.


One of the best meals I had this year, sure it was on my birthday, but I was also surrounded with amazing company, a great cause and wonderful food. How are you going to beat that? Still dreaming about this wagyu!


Oh lord. DUTCH CREAMS. 


One of my favourite breakfast's this year, the baked eggs have me swooning and sighing still! We've also since had a lovely dinner here as well and is somewhere I would like to frequent a little more!



I know I actually blogged about this in 2011, but it's still one of my favourite Thai restaurants ever, in Bangkok, and I did get to visit it again this past year. I haven't had Yum Pla Dook Foo done better anywhere else, the food is cheap and always flavoursome. 


Really the highlight for me here, was the sundae dog. One of the best ideas ever!


The meal that nearly killed me with richness, it was over the top, it was rich, it was French, it was amazing!


Penang
I can't even label a restaurant here or anything. I love that I was able to visit Penang twice this year and really, I guess, reignite my interest in Malaysian food and what my parents are passionate about. I can't wait to blog about Penang and share with you guys what I found. One of my absolute favourite things in Penang, was this fish head curry at Din Tai Fung. I'm not normally crazy about fish head curry, but it was seriously out of this world. I don't kid!


Merricote
Coming to the blog…soon (I hope)! This was especially sweet as my friend had accidentally stood me up at a dinner we had arranged, so to make it up to me, he told me to pick a place where he could buy me dinner. Merricote it was and I think I had one of the most enjoyable meals of the year here. With completely unpretentious but incredibly personable and friendly service, food that was both comforting and exciting with new flavours and a cheese trolley, this meal has been on my mind for a while!

I've of course had many other amazing meals and yummy things, but to list them all here would take much too long I fear!

A couple of other awesome things this year….


- Going on my first overseas trip with Brad!


- Trip to Canberra with the Human Brochure!


- Eat Drink Blog 2012, getting bigger and better! Love our community yo!


- Being commissioned to do some photography artwork for my friends hotel in the city


- Shooting Luxbite's Christmas goodies and summer selection!

Phew! 

How was your 2012? Any big plans or ambitions for 2013? 

I'm not a believer in resolutions, but I do still like having loose goals or life plan in place in general. For me, I want to keep working away at this blog and increase my wine education, the most recent trips to Canberra and Adelaide wineries have just been inspiring and I'm keen to absorb and learn more. I'm also planning on starting the job hunt and getting into something new next year hopefully…yeek! 

Happy New Year everyone! :)

4 comments:

  1. Nice wrap up Ashley, has highlighted a few places I've been meaning to try, but haven't managed to visit as yet.

    Must make sure I get to "Ruen Tong" when I'm back in Bangkok. I had this place noted down somewhere, but forgot all about it.

    Merricote has been on my "to do list" for ever, so it's a "must do" for early 2013.

    Thanks for all the entertaining writing & fabulous photography throughout the year.

    All the best for 2013 !

    Cheers
    Nat Stockley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat! Nice to hear from you :) I can't believe how long it took me to get to Merricote once I got there! Definitely not somewhere to put off for too long!

      Have a happy new year and a good 2013! :D

      Delete
  2. What a cool and happening year, congrats on all your fantastic achievements! You've got some pretty awesome gigs going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHAHAHAAH at Bryan and Wince! hahahaha love 2012!

    ReplyDelete