Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Shawcross Pizza


Now I have to ask you guys. Pizza. Hand food or knife and fork? I have this argument every time Brad and I go out for pizza. He'll bust out the knife and fork and I get all my fingers involved in the eating process, and it drives me crazy that he doesn't see eye to eye with me! Pizza to me is like fried chicken, you eat it with you fingers so that you can lick your fingers clean of all that deliciousness after!

What do you guys reckon? 


Brad, Tim (my brother) and I popped into Shawcross Pizza on new years day, as I just had that insatiable craving for melty cheese and bread goodness and was far too lazy to cook. It's the new year, may as well kick back after all that...glutton...that is the christmas period! 


Opened next door to Phat Brats, from the guys of Phat Brats, it has much of the same laid back, slightly American style diner vibe about it. It's all pretty chill. 


If you're on the run, you might consider buying a slice of one of their 22 inch pizza monsters sitting in the display cabinet. Or you might just want to take it easy and eat in. The menu is generous, with fun and cheekily named pizzas, all with reasonable prices, along with some 'Kick-Ass' greener and slightly healthier options on the side as well. 


We started with some nachos, corn chips, mild salsa, sour cream, melted mozzarella, jalapenos and guacamole. Really, what's not to like? Not overly oily or cheesy with a healthy dollop of guacamole on the top. Mmmm, guacamole! We demolished these pretty quickly!


Brad and I usually always get one vegetarian pizza and one meat pizza, at Shawcross, this didn't change. One 'Livin' on the Veg' with mushroom, roast pumpkin, ricotta, pesto, slaw and roquette, and one 'Broseppi' with Italian sauce, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, salami, mushrooms and oregano. Both on gluten free bases. 


Both pizzas were very enjoyable, generously laden with toppings and therefore giving great fresh flavours, none of that overly cheesy greasy stuff here! Was pretty impressed with the gluten free base as well, it was quite savoury, with a great bit of char and a bit of spring to it. Getting pretty spoilt with gluten free bases in Melbourne these days, massive step up from the day's of cardboard gluten free bread…On a whole I just loved how visually pleasing the pizzas were! Especially the 'Livin' on a Veg', so bright and colourful!

My brother's really gotten into the habit of ordering dessert while we're out together and this visit was no different! 


To finish off, sometimes there's nothing more comforting than a simple Sundae Bloody Sundae at Shawcross, with vanilla ice-cream, chocolate sauce, nuts and a cherry on top. When my brother's in the mood for dessert, it's inhaled within minutes. 

On the whole, I like Shawcross, the pizzas are tasty, well priced and with plenty of other stuff on the side to make it a well balanced enough meal (or not in our case I guess). The vibe's also relaxed and easy going, as any pizza place should be, and although they haven't quite gotten their full liquor license yet (crossing fingers it'll be in within the next week or so!), you can BYO ($5 corkage per bottle) and enjoy your own brews or grapes. Or if you live nearby you might be able to just get delivery too. Lucky bitches who do!


Also what's totally awesome about Shawcross Pizza is that Phat Brats is right next door. So if you're a fatty like me, after dinner, you can run across and have a sundae dog. Yeah, that's right. After a Sundae Bloody Sundae. Perfect summer evening? Or any evening of the week? Yeaaaaaah. 

Shawcross Pizza
324 Brunswick Street
Fitzroy 3065

Shawcross Pizza on Urbanspoon


View I'm So Hungree in a larger map

12 comments:

  1. Ohhh nice :) i didn't know that Phat Brats have a new store ~ the pizzas look super yum and I'm definitely a hand on pizza girl hehe

    *HIGH FIVE* to your brother for always ordering dessert!

    They have a sundae dog? WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaaah! Nice to see someone agrees with me! :D We were given hands for a reason!

      AND YES! You didn't know of the sundae dog's existence? It's amazing, you have to try it!

      Delete
  2. I need to go to this place ASAP! When I'm eating out, I use fork and knife but when I'm at home, hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, fair enough, I guess it doesn't look as good in the public, especially in Melbourne's gourmet pizza places, to be stuffing your face with your hands...

      Delete
  3. I was here last week! Tried one of the gigantic slices, not bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you went to Phat Brats afterwards for a Sundae Dog - classic! The pizza looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never get the boys out just for dessert, so have to twist in a savoury meal somewhere in there first! :)

      Delete
  5. yum to the mexicutioner there! im total hands which also means chin. and shirt. and jeans and sometimes even shoes.
    T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes and yes! :) No better way to show you've enjoyed a meal than making a darned good mess. Will try the mexicutioner next time! :D

      Delete
  6. I'm also a knife and fork freak pizza eater, but then I also peel my prawns with a knife and fork! Ive never heard of a sundae dog!! Do they do a GF version?! I so wanna try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Peeling prawns with knife and fork is a sure act of great dexterity! Very impressed :)

      Unfortunately as the bun for the sundae dog is made out of doughnut, there's no GF version currently (or at least that I'm aware of) :( I have it on my naughty indulgent gluten-y days... :)

      Delete