Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Off to America!

I can't sleep at the moment. 

When my head hits the pillow my mind is ticking away and stirring around like crazy as I tick off lists in my brain, attempt to plan out days to places I've never been and worry a little bit that I might not actually buy anything once I get to America (although really, like that would ever happen).

That's right! I'm heading to the states with Brad and take off day is awful close. I'm a perfectly competent traveller, and can jet off to Asia for a weekend jaunt with no problems any old time, but America somehow has me nervous, maybe because it's that much further? 

Maybe because I'm half convinced Brad will leave me when the full charge of my shopping mania power unleashes itself? 

Or maybe it's because I just don't have enough days to eat everywhere I want. We have 4 nights in LA and my excel list is already 30 rows strong. Hmmm. How can I invent more stomach space in a short amount of time?

 photo 05dbf5a0d0d311e2992f22000a1fb823_7_zps338faae7.jpg

Here's Chai helping me out decide where to eat. Or just block me from typing.

Have no fear though, you'll be on the ride with me, as my trusty SLR is packed, along with a point and shoot for those speedy meals on the run, and a shiny new kikki.K notebook (yay mid-year sales!), to make sure I remember what everything tastes like. Although I could probably just say 'bacon' for everything and be somewhat accurate right? 

Brad and I will be hitting up LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Rochester (NY) and of course, New York City. So if you do have any suggestions, please feel free to leave me a comment or send me an email if you're a little bit shy. 

In the mean time, I'll be (attempting to) scheduling a few more Melbourne posts to hopefully cover me while I've gone...although I've somehow nearly cleared up the backlog...le gasp!

17 comments:

  1. Have a great time, USA is so much foodie fun! I'm pining to head back so I'm incredibly jealous :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely need to dig through your NYC post for more yummy inspiration! :)

      Delete
  2. You'll have a ball! tipping and tax will drive you mental but you'll get used to it quick.
    Trish x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, have already been having debates/discussions about it with my american friends on Facebook! Think I'm mentally prepared for it though... thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Have fun...I loved NYC (you MUST eat at Tacombi and Shake Shack). I'm not planning any (or hardly any) eats on my impending Europe trip - less stressful I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks will do! I have a few dinners booked but otherwise just keeping a list of places that interest me and we'll go with the flow! :)

      Delete
  4. Have a safe and wonderful trip in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you probably already know this - but the ham and cheese croissant at Tartine bakery in SF is to die for. also the bread pudding. and really everything. there are also some great donuts in SF. and roast chicken at Zuni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have Bar tartine booked for dinner, but will def swing by the Tartine bakery too! Thanks for the input! :) Mmm, roast chicken sounds so good after a couple of hours at airports and in airplanes!

      Delete
  6. Anchor and Hope in San Fran, and Miette for amazing cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, haven't heard any of those yet! Will definitely check them out, thank you! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Ashley,

    I live in NYC and have read some of your food posts. They are amazing! Australia is on my list of places to go. If you're into ceviche, a really good place to go is Fresca in San Fran. You should go for the sampler and definitely don't forget to try the coconut sauce one. I've been trying to find one as yummy in NY and I've been disappointed! There are a bunch of really good places in NY but I find that everything is pretty much overpriced :T if you're willing to venture out to Queens, NY - Danny Brown Wine Bar is amazing. Cheese board and chicken under a brick! Gnocchi and risottoo...yummmmm More central restaurant you should try is Bohemian Restaurant! Try to get a reservation ahead of time though because it's supposed to be quite difficult.

    Looking forward to reading your amazing posts! :)

    Best,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what fun! I'm soaking in as much US info as I can at the moment ... trying desperately to narrow down where to go next year ... look forward to seeing and hearing everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! What's going to America without getting into their famous burgers? Would love it if you could check out In-N-Out Burger in LA and Shake Shack in NYC and see which one's the best! Have fun! :-D Cheers, Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  10. also hog island oysters and the farmers market at the ferry building and blue bottle coffee on Linden lane and michael recchutti chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already know you're having a blast but I wish you a safe return when you come back! And Chai is absolutely adorable. Did he come with as well or staying home to guard everything? ^^ Can't wait to see more. Keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete