Monday, August 15, 2011

Chez Dré

I had been wondering how to approach the topic of going to South Melbourne for brunch on a weekend with Brad for a while. Whilst he can be adventurous, we're generally both not huge fans of trekking too far for food and with myself being based in Kew, South Melbourne's a wee bit of a drive. Well, for us anyway, as we could otherwise go to South Yarra or Collingwood and be perfectly spoilt for breakfast type meals there too.

So there was one weekend where I just decided we were going to Chez Dre, because I wanted to and it really wasn't that far of a drive and I've been dying to see the place in person after having received a box of goodies previously.

Getting there and back turned out to be a bit of a nightmare for us it turns out. I forgot that Chez Dre was right by the South Melbourne market and well...it was Saturday. Of course it was going to be absolutely chaotic as mums pushed prams around, families were out, and people just in general were everywhere.

Parking was difficult too, everywhere was taken! We were going to give up after a good 20 minutes or so of driving around in circles, but managed to get a spot a bit further out.

And just to get it out of the way, the drive home took us a good 40 minutes as we missed a turn to get on to Alexandra Parade and ended up having to go through the city...which was chockers for some reason.

It was suggested then we don't go back to South Melbourne for brunch in the future....oh well...

All negativity out of the way though, our one little endeavor into South Melbourne for brunch was quite lovely, if you take the car escapades out of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After toppling over the cobblestones to get to the door, Chez Dre was so kitsch and cute. I love that green couch you see upon first entry which opens up to a rather large...foyer I suppose? Cakes and sweets on one side, communal tables on another, open kitchen and well, people everywhere!

Fortunately we didn't have to wait half an hour to be seated, as I've heard in some reports and although it was a little nippy out, we decided to sit outside anyway so we could actually eat sooner. Which worked well for me anyway, as I was fawning all over Melbourne's overcast sky providing the perfect light!

Photobucket

Cutest dog coat ever. Was so tempted to steal it...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Unfortunately no chai latte's at Chez Dre, so indulging in a hot chocolate it was! And what a lovely little treat it was, not thick, not too sweet but definitely chocolatey with a hint of richness. And the touch of the soft, sticky marshmallow on the spoon, to be swirled in at your leisure was a very playful and whimsical touch to your standard hot chocolate.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Brad went with the poached eggs on sourdough, with marinated smoked salmon, smashed avocado and goats cheese. A visually pretty little plate, that looked oh so delicate. I didn't try any, so I can't comment on flavour, but Brad completely picked his plate clean!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I went a little bolder and brighter with the Morrocan style baked eggs, with herb lamb sausages, minted yoghurt and warm baguette. As it came out, I looked at Brad's plate and commented we probably should have swapped choices, as he usually has the bigger appetite than I do!

But this was an absolute pleasure, piping hot, comforting tomato aroma and taste, the lamb herb sausage was the perfect accompaniment. I also really liked the touch of yoghurt, which of course, went really well with the lamb and toned the spices down a little bit. I reckon it's probably one of the better baked eggs I've had as it wasn't too bogged down, well balanced and not just an overwhelming sensation of tomato and just down right tasty too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Brad ended up eating all my leftover baguette and using it to wipe up anything that was possibly left of my baked eggs. Good? I think so.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And of course, no trip to Chez Dre is complete without ogling over sweets in their darling little rows. I naturally brought home some macarons and a chocolate eclair for dad. Oh so sinful, but so delicious!

(rear of) 285-287 Coventry Street
Melbourne, 3205

Chez Dré on Urbanspoon