Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hong Kong - GuangDong Barbeque Restaurant

Photobucket

I was contemplating one sunny Sunday morning, on a cab ride from Kowloon to Central Hong Kong, how beautiful a city Hong Kong was. Why do I say this? I was just comparing it to my experience in New York earlier this year. New York certainly has that initial 'wow' factor, it's exciting when you first arrive, but I will admit, it wasn't as breath taking as I expected it to be.

So Hong Kong's just another city with tall buildings and lots of people, how is it so different? I'm really not sure what it is, yes there's a bit of nostalgia having spent my younger years here, but there's just something beautiful. I find Asian culture so much more enriching and detailed than American, I suppose there's a bit more age to it and thus, I think it translates to the cities. And I suppose I also love me a cosmopolitan city, there's so much going on in Hong Kong, it's developing, it's fast, it's so exciting!

I mean, just look at that view, my friend San and I had been wandering and accidentally stumbled upon the star ferry port and a breath taking view of the city at night. Am I strange in thinking this? What do you all think?

We had originally wandered on down to Harbour City, as I asked for a mall from the hotel concierge, thinking that there may be eating places around there and hey, I like browsing a luxury brand or two.

But as we walked through the mall, slick, marble, white, clinically clean, I couldn't shake the feeling that I shouldn't be here. I should be hitting the streets and finding something a bit dingy and a bit more local.

So we left, wandered around, surprisingly having a problem finding eating places, even contemplating a Japanese place or two, until out of the corner of my eye, I spied a bright light and a whole lotta duck.

Photobucket

Photobucket

What could be more perfect for two starving girls than some barbeque meat? The sign said travellers were welcome too. I promise!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Using the universal peace sign to indicate the number of diners, we were taken through a small little room, into another small little room, where I had a hunch they chucked all the foreigners into, our neighbouring tables filled with caucasians.

Photobucket

The English menu I think was a bit sparse compared to the local menu...

Photobucket

What else would we have other than the duck? Well maybe char siew I suppose, but I just had an inkling for duck that night, so San and I opted to share half a duck. I thought it looked like a lot, but y'know. That stuff goes down a treat. Absolutely delicious and juicy, San and I just ripped through the tender meat. I was later told by Dad that more typically in Hong Kong you get the goose, but ah well. Another trip maybe?

Photobucket

We also decided to get some tofu and vegetables on the side, just to make ourselves feel a tiny bit healthier. Although when it's covered in sauce, it's not as easy to do that. Still tasty and a nice addition on the side of the duck.

Photobucket

From this....

Photobucket

To this.

I think we did a pretty good job between the two of us, although we still made a pitstop in Hagen Daz on the way home to have ice-cream.

Whilst this place was awesome and I love ending up in random little places, especially when I find out they've been featured in local eating columns or magazines (which means I've found a good one right?) I also do enjoy having recommendations! Anyone have other suggestions for good cantonese style food for whenever I make another trip back?

GuangDong Barbeque restaurant
No. 43 Huankoudau
TsimShaTsui
Hong Kong

3 comments:

  1. ash im loving all these hong kong posts!
    im there next month so these are all going on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I must take note next time I'm there so I can let you know where we're taken by Ben's family. I think HK is really pretty too. Especially that view at night.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gianna - Oh how perfect! :) Hope you will enjoy them as much as I did! :D

    Heidi - Oooh, would love that! Shame I didn't appreciate food as much when I was a kid, I lived in Hong Kong for 10 years! :)

    ReplyDelete