Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Porgie & Mr Jones

Once a mistake, twice a fool. Sigh. Forgot my camera again today.

Oh well.

Took my grandma on another little lunch date, since it had been a while since I did so.

I had read a fair bit about Porgie & Mr Jones on some other blogs and since I don't usually actually venture into Hawthorn for food, I thought it might be a nice change to do so.

As I walked out of the house, my mum mentioned how it was where Snow Pony originally started, or something along those lines.







Walking in I could certainly see the resemblance. I didn't take a picture, but the cashier area looks very similar, with the display cases selling the exact same desserts as Snow Pony. So I personally took this as a good sign, since I do enjoy Snow Pony.



Whilst I had read a lot of good reviews about their coffee, the chai latte could use a little bit of work I feel. The milk wasn't particularily well frothed (reminded me a bit of how I used to do my milk (terribly!) when I worked as a waitress...) and chai? What chai? Was way too weak for my liking.

Fortunately, the food did not disappoint.



I swear, my grandma always says she will eat anything when you take her out but she always goes for the smallest little dish on the menu.

Anyway, this is the fruit toast, which is absolutely delightful. I love the ridiculously thick slices which are so richly dense with raisins and figs and other sweet wonders. The apricot jam is delicious too.



I got the soup, corn and basil veloute, which came out smelling amazing. There was a fair bit of pepper in it too, which gave it a lovely warm bite. And whilst I usually like thick creamy soups, this was very well done.

So what I can say, another good safe option in Hawthorn (Brad won't let me call it the burbs. But it's not the city!). Although I think I lucked out with my chai latte this time (I had been having an amazing string of good ones for a while).

The 3 course meal they have for dinner looked pretty nice as well, so may have to come try it out one of these days....

Porgie & Mr Jones
291 Auburn Rd
Hawthorn VIC 3122
(03) 9882 2955

Porgie and Mr Jones on Urbanspoon




No comments:

Post a Comment