Thursday, September 2, 2010

Globe Cafe

I went to Swinburne Uni in Prahran, so tucked in very cosily on the corner of High St and Chapel St, for three years and never stepped foot into so many of the cafes that populate Chapel St.

Gosh that was three years wasted! But at least I'm catching up now! We trotted into Globe Cafe, which I had passed by so many times, saw close up, saw renovate, saw re-open and only now, maybe 5 years later? I decide to venture in.

Globe Cafe used to look like a skater hang out from the outside, to be frank, or it at least gave off that, young, urban vibe. I remember it's blue and white paint, with a dob of red and sci-fi looking logo, it looked like a simplified atom, appropriate for chemistry class, but maybe not for a cafe.

However after renovations, where they were closed for a couple of months if I remember correctly, and it now definitely caters to those who like a calming space to have their coffee or breakfast, the coffee loving design students and the families with matured children who may get together for lunch on a Sunday.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Globe Cafe occupies the Old Prahran Court House, and after the renovations it certainly reflects that with marble juxtoposed against charming wooden benches and little bits and pieces, like the old school chandelier (I can call it that can't I?), giving it a comfortable charm whilst still being classy.

We sat out near the front, but it looked like they probably had more space out the back and according to the website, some gorgeous function rooms. The front of these places can be so deceiving!

Photobucket

Cute water bottles! I love little touches like these.

Photobucket

Photobucket

What to get...what to get...I do admit, I must be on a mini quest to fill up this blog with breakfast, as we ended up ordering from the breakfast menu, even though it was lunch....again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Latte and chai latte respectively, the problem with chai latte's done like this is that I end up getting so full because I drink them so fast and because it's in a teapot, I get more cups!

Photobucket



I hadn't had baked eggs in a while and my eyes pretty much jumped to them when I opened up the menu. Globe does their baked eggs with a spicy tomato and bean sauce with multi-seed bread. Whilst a little bit oily looking, it was still very nice...and the spicy sauce? It really had a very sharp bite! My mouth was left glowingly warm for a while after. The yolks of the egg in this are still runny, just in case you don't like that, whilst not as hearty as a baked egg with tomatoes and sausage, the beans are still very filling and the spicyness certainly makes up for it. The multi-seed bread served with it, was toasted to a crisp perfection and I really loved the textures of the seeds, really delightful and perfect for soaking up the last of the saucy stuff.

Photobucket

Having gotten the big breakfast at Chimmy's the other day, Brad decided to keep it a little simpler and got the free range eggs, poached, obviously, also served on the multi-seed bread and also decided to get some hashbrowns on the side. The eggs looked delicious, although I didn't try them myself and the hashbrowns of grated potato were just light, not excessively oily and crispy on the outside. Seasoned well too, they were very tasty.

Service was prompt and friendly and I really did enjoy the atomsphere of Globe. It easily charmed me, with a bright but refined interior and airy disposition (yes I'm personifying the cafe). Definitely interested in coming back to sample some of the dinner menu, or to just pop by for another lazy breakfast/lunch. Yet another draw to the cooler end of Chapel St (I am Prahran biased. Sorry South Yarra lovers!)

Globe Cafe
218 Chapel St
Prahran, 3181

Globe Café on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment