Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Terrace at Methodist Ladies' College

Ah nostalgia. The strange feeling I got as I guided my mother and a few of our neighbours through my old secondary school to the Krome Dining Room, which on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons is transformed into 'The Terrace Restaurant'.

Yup, we went to my old school to have a spot of high tea. At MLC, there is a VET hospitality class, giving the option for girls in Year 11 and 12 to either train in front of house work or in the kitchen. The theory learned skills are then put to practice, either during high tea on Wednesday afternoons or for lunch service on Thursdays, which according to my neighbour, are fully booked out to the end of the year! Although at $10 for a main and $7 for entrees and dessert...I can certainly understand why!

Photobucket

So 2pm found me back in the 'Krome Dining Room', where I used to have my rehearsals for the school musical festival, although it had been recently refurbished and is looking far brighter and sharper than before, when it was brown, mouldy and a just a touch dowdy.

We were guided to our table by a bright-eyed, smiling student/waitress, who then took our tea orders (they use T2 teas). It took a bit longer than I expected for our tea to get to us, but quite shortly after that we were brought out our goodies...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mmm! An assortment of sweet and savoury, we were presented with gingerbread, coconut slices, chocolate cupcakes, passionfruit yoyos, chicken and avocado sandwiches, pumpkin pizza and a cheese and chilli pastry.

The food was a bit of touch and go. The less popular items being the cheese and chilli pastry, which was quite oily and heavy, reminiscent of a typical party sausage roll and the chocolate cupcakes which was terribly, terribly dry. Give me some cream, give me some butter! The fairy floss on top of it was great, but it could have at least used some icing or something!

The favourites would definitely have been the gingerbread, which was remarkably light and the passionfruit yoyos. The yoyos were very very short, just crumbling in my mouth and with the dollop of rich and flavourful passionfruit cream, it just melted away instead. If we were allowed seconds, I'm pretty sure I would've gone for more!

For $10 for the food and a cup of tea or coffee, I didn't think the price was too unreasonable but I have been told the high tea at Box Hill TAFE is far superior. So whilst I may not come back again, I think it is a bit fun for something a bit different and it might be appropriate for me to get my old school friends back together for lunch one day...

MLC: Terrace Restaurant
207 Barkers Rd
Kew VIC 3101

No comments:

Post a Comment