Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Passionflower

ICE-CREAM.

We don't have enough of it in the city. I'm dead serious. Ever since Trampoline left the city, I've been at odds at finding a really good ice-cream place to get my fixes. Sure the odd magnum from seven eleven is good (no wait, awesome) now and again, but there's just something so wonderful about getting good scooped ice-cream or gelato in fascinating or comforting flavours.

Yes I know. There's that gelato place on the corner of Swanston and Latrobe, yes there's New Zealand Natural, yes there's ice-cream at Lindt cafe, but they just don't seem to do it for me.

So I was naturally very excited when I saw the development of Passionflower as I sauntered up Bourke St to the gym. Gym and ice-cream....bit ironic isn't it?

A few short weeks later, it was open.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I dragged Brad over after dinner at Izakaya Den, surprised upon approach that it was overrun with Asians. Hmm. Sorry Brad.

Photobucket

One of these is not quite like the others....(I kid, I kid <3)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was a smorgasbord of flavours, and some rather specialty flavours as well which definitely showed who their target audience was. Durian, green tea, adzuki bean, all the Asian favourites were there. Two that did tickle my fancy though, was pandan and taro flavoured ice-cream. Chillipadi used to do a killer pandan mousse and I was always spoilt on rich and absolutely delicious taro ice-cream back in the Philippines, so I naturally could not resist giving them a try.

Photobucket

Whilst nice and creamy, the flavours weren't as pungent as I'd have liked them to be. They were quite weak and the not the overwhelming flavours I was somewhat expecting. Disappointing, but maybe I need to come back and get the basic flavours, trial them out before summer swings in...the quest for ice-cream never ends....

Passionflower
Shop 2, 168 Bourke Street
Melbourne, 3000

Passionflower on Urbanspoon


2 comments:

  1. AH! I can't believe I haven't noticed this opening. A shame the pandan wasn't so good, I remember having their black sesame in Sydney and quite enjoying it. Must try!

    Jetsetting Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine frequently goes to Sydney for work and has told me of this Passionflower place so she was excited when she found out that they had just opened one in Melbourne. Unfortunately, she says that it's not AS good as the one in Sydney. I'll still give it a go sometime though.

    ReplyDelete