Monday, September 6, 2010

Mocha Jo's

Some people like a place that looks like it's going to explode with people, where the music is pumping, the families are jovial and talking loudly so that their neighbour can hear them over the noisy tunes.

I'm honestly not so much one of those people, but that's what I initially found when Brad and I entered Mocha Jo's for a spot of lunch. I like a happy little buzz and bustle, but I don't enjoy constantly bending over to get closer to hear people! Sometimes it's just a matter of turning the music down a tiny bit...

Photobucket

Photobucket

However as the afternoon went on, as people left, the decibels reduced, it became far more bearable and I got to enjoy how cute Mocha Jo's is. It is so satisfying to be inside, where the warm wooden interior makes you feel wrapped up and cosy as the blustery winds outside carry on.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love a sweet chai latte and for whatever reason, Glen Waverly seems to do them sweet and quite a bit bigger than most other places! No complaints from me!

Mocha Jo's menu is a curious little melting pot, with the standard salads, pastas and risottos as most cafes have, but with some curry, roti, saganaki and Moroccan dishes tossed in there.

Photobucket

Brad got the soup of the day, a warming tomato and lentil soup, nothing exciting, but consumed in perfect weather for it. I personally like my soups a barmix-ed to high heaven and deliciously creamy, but this was very comforting.

Photobucket

I went with the roast vegetable stack (trying to be healthy here!), I just couldn't resist when I saw so many of my favourites there - grilled eggplant, zucchini, roast capsicum, pumpkin, onion, baby spinach, potato roesti and to top if all off a sprinkling of fetta. Whilst not the most interesting dish in textures, everything was quite soft even though there were so many elements, it was fairly tasty with the roesti potato surprising me the most. It didn't look fabulous, at the bottom of the veggie pile, nothing like the roesti's I got in Switzerland, but there were some herbs throughout it which made it quite aromatic and very tasty.

Photobucket

Thinking two entrees wouldn't be enough for us, we also decided to get the wedges...which may or may not have been such a great idea! It was just a ginormous pile of perfectly golden wedges, crisp on the outside and seasoned to perfection. It was definitely too much, yet we sat there and slowly demolished them, especially those little crispy ones, I don't think I let Brad have one. Teehee. They were certainly generous with the sweet chilli sauce and sour cream, pouring over the sides of the little condiments plate.

I couldn't help but notice again, how efficient the service staff were, they were there when you needed them and like Coco Lounge, even though they gave us a water bottle on the table, came over to top up our waters anyway. Competition amongst the cafes in Kingsway seems to be pretty fierce...although just quietly, I did find Coco Lounge to be a little more in my tastes. Very much enjoyed my lunch at Mocha Jo's still though!

Mocha Jo's
87 Kingsway
Glen Waverley, 3150

Mocha Jo's on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. naww you're chilling in my hood ;) the caesar salad at mochas is yummy! and i'm loving all the recent food posts, i feel so slack compared to you haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. coco lounge and mocha joes are owned by the same people.

    ReplyDelete