Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bluebird Espresso


 photo bluebird-espresso-6842_zpsad17f57c.jpg

Bluebird Espresso was one of those places I saw a lot, but never got around to popping in to. It's on my bus line (which I don't ride as often anymore) and so I would always pass it, but never take the time to get off the bus and check it out as I always heading into the city for something (probably work...when I was waitressing, once upon a time).

 photo bluebird-espresso-6849_zps4da42552.jpg

When I finally did get in for the first time, with mum on a day of op shopping, to have a coffee, I felt so silly that I hadn't bothered earlier, quickly becoming smitten with the cosy little cafe. 

 photo bluebird-espresso-6857_zps8bb9da3e.jpg

And as such, dragged Brad back that weekend to get the full brunch experience. 

 photo bluebird-espresso-6844_zpsfc9b8bee.jpg

 photo bluebird-espresso-6850_zpsbcfe96c8.jpg

Located on Johnson Street, a little closer to Hoddle and away from the busy thoroughfare of Smith Street, Bluebird Espresso is a narrow little cafe that still exudes a bright, cheery and carefree atmosphere. Friendly and easy-going staff, pops of fresh flowers and a whole lot of blue, naturally. 

 photo bluebird-espresso-6840_zps35e950a4.jpg

 photo bluebird-espresso-6852_zps13ee855e.jpg

Brad's coffee looked lovely and dark, my orange juice was served fresh and cold in a cute little brown bottle. No chai this particular day as it was hot, hot, hot out and the air-con inside struggled against it. So a cool beverage was definitely in order!

 photo bluebird-espresso-6863_zps7bd22aa9.jpg

Baked eggs for Brad, typical boy. Forgot what was in them, but the serving was modest (in the best way possible, enough to be filling but not stuffed) and scrumptious. 

When we were looking at the menu, I was quite quick to pick this and Brad just responds with: "I knew you were going to choose that one." Sigh, we're both just getting far too predictable!

 photo bluebird-espresso-6868_zps76834611.jpg

My fried Mexican eggs with tortilla, beans, corns and all that latino flavour was just divine. Yolks, dusted with salt crystals, that were just heaving and begging to be burst, were paired with plenty of spice and a whole lot of hearty. Great flavours all around. 

I loved how reasonably priced the menu was, the selection (I really wanted to eat everything), the flavours and taste and the overall feel-good this place had. I just felt like I was tingling with soulful and joyful feelings. It's hard to put into words. 

 photo bluebird-espresso-6873_zpsb79cbfe7.jpg

I was very disappointed I didn't get to try the sweet special that happened to be on that day, but certainly hope a second visit will be happening in the near future (although we all know as bloggers that second visits to ANYWHERE are so rare these days)!

Bluebird Espresso
134 Johnson Street
Collingwood 3066

Bluebird Espresso on Urbanspoon


View I'm So Hungree in a larger map

13 comments:

  1. Gosh it's almost impossible to get another visit in with all these new cafes popping up isn't it!? I've always been interested in this place! Typical but it's so hard to pass baked eggs hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely impossible! It's kind of sad, especially when you find somewhere new that you really like too :(

      Delete
  2. Second visits are near end impossibru! And Brad dragged you? WHATS GOING ON?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMPOSSIBRU! Actually I dragged Brad (as usual) hehe! :)

      Delete
  3. bahaha at I-Hua's comment. We have been meme-ing it up lately.

    Looks SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is so great, I've been there quite a lot and tried many different items from the menu and haven't been disappointed. Recently found out they have a slightly larger menu during weekdays, will have to go back for more. Great pics by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the menu's bigger on the weekdays? Didn't know! Thanks for the tip, will have to pop by as well! :) And thank you!

      Delete
  5. I dragged The Angmoh here some time last year and we enjoyed our food! The Angmoh commented that his dukkah eggs were the best he's had! Definitely needs a second visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Just need to find the time to fit in a second visit....

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with the girls a second visit is so hard now with so many new cafes popping up all the time I simply can't keep up :) I've driven past Bluebird Espresso so many times need to go soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Their french toast (with bacon) is the best thing I've ever eaten. Now that I live in WA, whenever I go back to Melbourne, I'll be visiting this place. Special trips will be made just so I can taste that delicious treat! I love Bluebird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there, very interesting blog, i just found a nice Restaurant In Sydney that offers the most amazing dukkah eggs and breakfasts, it's called Binge Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete