Saturday, August 28, 2010

Federal Coffee Palace

Mini and I did lunch on Monday as I haven't seen him in ages and when I asked if there was anywhere in particular he wanted to go he responded with "The most exciting places I go to eat are the ones you show me. So you pick."

Easy enough.

I wanted to go to Le Triskel in Hardware Lane, but as we approached and saw there was a immediate lack of chairs outside, I despaired slightly but quickly averted our attention down to GPO.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had seen the Federal Coffee Palace several times on my 'Cheap Eats' application and had always wandered exactly where it is, and thought it was positively charming when the seats were actually nestled under the arches of the GPO, instead of inside an actual shop or down a laneway.

I was a little concerned initially they would just be another typical baguette place, but fortunately they did have a couple more options for gluten free little ol' me and we were very swiftly seated under a heater to get out of the cold.

Photobucket

The second best chai I've had in the city. The milk was just velvety, and the chai flavour was good too. This was almost finished before our meals got to us!

Photobucket

I got one of the specials on the blackboard, a 3 egg frittata with pumpkin and gorgonzola. I have to admit, it was not quite the fritatta I'm used to, whilst I expected a cake-like wedge of vegetable and egg goodness to be put in front of me, what I got was a bit...flatter. All the same, I was hungry, had just finished at the gym and protein was in order. It was really quite rich from the gorgonzola, which went really well with the pumpkin. Certainly a bit heavier than most frittata's I have, but with gorgonzola and pumpkin, what am I really expecting? It was a bit saltier than I'd have liked too, but yeah, I love blue cheese, so that was plenty enough to encourage me to finish!

Photobucket

Mini ordered one of the baguette's with tomatoes (which he proceeded to take out and give to me since he doesn't like them....silly boy), rocket, relish and some protein, although I can't remember entirely what it was. He did give me a bite though and it was a fairly delicately constructed baguette, the relish was absolutely delicious and went very well with the pepper of the rocket. I was quite a bit more impressed than I expected to be.

The biggest gripe I did have, was the inattentiveness of one of the waitstaff and general lack of observation. Whilst we were seated very promptly by a smiling waiter, and received my chai and got our food, we had not been served any water by this time. When our food did arrive, I asked the waitress for some water, which she completely neglected to give me. Halfway through our meal, a waiter went to the table next to us with a jug to top up their water but failed to notice we didn't have any water until I called him over to ask once again.

At least he was exceedingly efficient in getting us the water, but it was a little disheartening as I otherwise very much enjoyed my meal. However, I don't think it is enough to completely put me off as I find the location very convenient and adorable, and the chai latte's are wonderful. So I suppose I'll be back when it's slightly less chilly!

Federal Coffee Palace
350 Bourke St
Melbourne, 3000

Federal Coffee Palace on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment