Friday, August 13, 2010

Vinh Ky

I will admit Richmond is not my favourite haunt (although I was just there last week at The Aviary...), because I'm a bit of a fail Asian. I don't usually like going out to eat noodles and rice dishes, unless it's an una-don...

However, I will go down with my family for good authentic Vietnamese or Chinese food. Especially when my dad's home, since his tastes are directly opposite mine and that's all he'll ever go out for when he's back in Melbourne.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was one of the coldest days in Melbourne, since I had gotten back from America, so the thought of a piping hot quick meal was certainly enticing.

Photobucket

Now I really don't know what all these dishes are properly called as my mother did all the ordering, as I normally let my parents do when we eat out at family style Asian restaurants. (I always tend to 'man' the menu when it comes to other places).

Photobucket

One thing I did request for though, were some fresh rice paper rolls, we opted for the prawn ones. They were indeed, crisp and very refreshing, the bite of the spring rolls popping through. The rolls were served with a plum sauce, I was hoping for a peanut one, but the freshness of the roll stopped the plum sauce from being too cumbersome.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Naturally, on a cold day, one has a good hot soupy noodle. My mum spied this on the table next to us and decided to order two for the table, soy braised duck with egg noodles. Whilst I did not try the noodles myself, the duck and the broth were delicious. The noodles according to my mum were slightly al dente and not too soggy at all, giving it a nice texture.

Photobucket

While we're at it why not two soupy things? Again, no dumplings for me, but it did look very tempting, steam arising from the brother...

Photobucket

Some saute vegetables with fishcake. The fishcake was really tasty, with a light, fluffy texture. My mother tells me this is achieved by putting the fishcakes through really, really, really hot oil, which you can't really do at home! So whilst not the healthiest of things, once in a while it is quite a treat.

Photobucket

And as if we didn't have enough food already, a plate of salt and pepper white bait appeared on our table. The white bait was fried in a batter, which I personally found a bit thick, but at the least it was crunchy and certainly salty.

Photobucket

All in all, Vinh Ky is budget friendly, with incredibly quick (our food came out within minutes), hearty Chinese/Vietnamese food.

Vinh Ky
114 Victoria St
Richmond, 3121

Vinh Ky on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I'm putting this one down on the to-eat list as I always go to the same place and eat the same thing when I'm on Victoria St.

    Jetsetting Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. "because I'm a bit of a fail Asian."
    - what is a 'fail Asian?

    Vink Kai is my wife's & I fav. place on Vic St.
    Going there tonight!

    ReplyDelete