Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jungle Juice

I do hate on a Sunday that when I go down to the city, all the cute cafes and restaurants that I would like to go to are well, closed. It's totally understandable, but...it doesn't really help me!

So this was one of those Sundays I found myself down in the city, stuck between some sunny weather and some downpours, wondering where to have a quiet lunch by myself before meeting up with a friend.

After much uhm-ing, aah-ing and wandering around Collins St and Flinders Lane, I ended up consulting my 'Cheap Eats' application which took me down to Centre Place and in front of Jungle Juice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't go in straightaway as I tend to be much shyer about approaching new, unfamiliar places alone. Curiosity is both a curse and a gift though as it got the best of me and I squeezed into the tiny little space.

Unsure of who to approach first, as there was no real distinction between who worked there and who didn't, I stood in the lil doorway like the un-hipster person I was until someone smiled at me and helped me get into my cosy little table in the corner.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jungle Juice is, as described above, a tiny little place, with a about 6 to 8 tables squeezed in and everyone shuffling and squeezing their way around. A lively combination of music, chosen from an iPod hanging by the cashier, is played quite loudly, making me think I was in a bit of a jungle.

Photobucket

The menu is a rehashed children's storybook, always nice to see these being reused, one way or another!

Photobucket

Whilst not on the menu, I did spy a few tables with these hearty looking bowls, so inquired after what soup they might have and this lovely, piping hot lentil soup was put in front of me. It was the perfect thing as the rain poured outside, being exceptionally peppery, giving it a nice spicy warmth as it went down the throat. There was a bagel also served on the side, which was toasted perfectly and I certainly couldn't resist having a bite.

Photobucket

I also decided to be odd and mix up my beautiful hot soup with a banana lassi. Which actually wasn't as cold as I expected to be, since they apparently didn't have any ice that day, but it was very yoghurty and quite thick. I was trying not to finish because I getting quite full, but it was so satisfying that I kept going at it!

I was exceptionally full by the time I finished, but feeling quite warm and glowing, full of good, healthy food.

Jungle Juice was fun and lively and even though it was, I was still able to curl up in the corner with the music pumping and devour my fantasy novel. Not a place I would frequent a lot, it's not so much 'my type' of cafe, but still very enjoyable and I'm quite intrigued at what other sorts of food that tiny little place can put out!

Jungle Juice
20 Centre Place
Melbourne, 3000

Jungle Juice on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. btw ashley :) that's me with my parents in the 1st and 2nd photo. i did spot you with your slr! glad you enjoyed the food and the menus there too - i sure did! bagels = yummy

    ReplyDelete