Friday, June 25, 2010

New Turf...NYC! - Cafeteria

Oh my gosh! Yes! I'm really here in New York city!

After 24 hours of flying and airports and only about 6 hours of sleep I was ready to...go to bed really.

But we landed at 6am in the morning and I was determined to battle the jetlag monster.

So we went and had breakfast instead.

It's such a different landscape, as in Melbourne city, if I wander around, I will come across a really cute cafe, really quickly, but it actually took us a little bit of time to come into an area that had a population of nice eating places.

But anyway, this place caught our eye from across the road, so with stomach's audibly complaining, we quickly ran across the road.







Cafeteria felt bright, light, open and friendly. I loved the huge windows which were perfect for people watching, even if you weren't right next to them. (I love how many dogs there are in this city!)







David got the Monte...something eggs. Essentially, I suppose the best way to describe it is, nachos + breakfast = this dish. There were potatoes and beans in the skillet, with a large flat corn chip/flat taco shell (?) over it, and over that there was a fried egg topped with some peppers, guacamole, cheese and more corn chips. Did I love it? Hmm. It was interesting, I suppose it's a little too foreign for me, gaucamole and eggs? Hmm. But it was still pretty good. And darn filling.







I got the country breakfast skillet, baked eggs, chorizo and hash potatoes. Whilst I generally like a bit of char from skillets and pans and things, I felt this tasted a tad burnt for some reason. Although it didn't bother me too much and I was extremely hungry. The potatoes and chorizo were terribly moreish and the eggs were cooked perfectly, when the yolks were burst they just cascaded all over the potatoes, giving them a delicious creamy texture.

Overall, a very pleasant breakfast experience and a nice way to start my trip to the US. :)

Cafeteria
119 7th Ave
New York, NY 10011

Cafeteria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment