Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Los Angeles - Loteria Grill



Why hi there Hollywood!

Fancy a bit of Mexican?









Accessed by a sweet little yellow (favourite colour...!) door, Loteria Grill in West Hollywood is a lofty, spacious and slightly (or maybe more than) upscale Mexican restaurant.

If I remember right in 2009 it received the title for best newcomer restaurant. Or something along those lines. Basically, it's supposed to be awesome.





One thing I absolutely love about Mexican places in America, is the corn chips and salsa that are served, instead of bread and butter. Although that could be a bad thing too as I tend to fill up on the chips even before my mains come...but how can I resist? The chips from Loteria were served warm and the salsa was so much thicker and spicier than any other I had had. It was incredibly addictive.





A drink imported from Mexico, basically a non-alcoholic Sangria....refreshing on a hot day.



We started off with a Quesadillia and opted to have it filled with veggies. I was a bit surprised since they looked so much like tacos when they came out, but they were lovely and not overly cheesy and heavy.



David got a...set of 4 tacos. One with mole chicken (Mole Poblano con Pollo), one with slowly roasted pork (Cochinita Pibil), another with beef meatballs and chipolte (Albondigas en Chipotle)...and I forgot the last one. Sorry. But aren't they just gorgeous?



Chill also got tacos. Hmm. Bit of a trend going on here...



Because I got tacos too! Although, not in quite the same way. On the specials menu, I very quickly spied the lengua and found it very hard to tear my eyes away from it. There was the option to have two been lengua tacos, or to have it as a plate. I was initially going to go for the tacos but was otherwise persuaded to get the plate, since y'know, I could make the tacos myself.

Oh my. Maybe not such a good idea.

Just because there was SO MUCH!



There was enough ingredients to make four tacos, but I only ended up managing to fit in 2 and a half. The lengua was absolutely delightful, tender, melted in your mouth and additionally rich with the thick sauce lathered over the top of it. The avocado provided a freshness amongst all the rich and intense flavours.

So. All in all, whilst Hollywood can be a bit of a tourist trap, Loteria, whilst upscale for a Mexican place, is also quite worth the visit. I love all the variations and options made available on the menu!

Loteria Grill
6627 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Loteria Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment