Wednesday, July 21, 2010

NYC - Momofuku Noodle Bar

I've always been that Asian kid who's not really Asian.

I mean, case and point, I really don't need much rice with a meal and often try to avoid it. I kinda blame my dieting habits back in high school, but y'know. More protein for me now!

So in my two weeks in New York, I initially ate a lot of salads, fries and...very non-Asian things.

Then one day we passed by Momofuku Noodle Bar and I can't resist a cute, trendy eatery.





Even with the queue, we were sat very promptly, obviously a sign it was meant to be.



We umm-ed and ahh-ed about whether to order this corn side dish, but once the waitress told us that it was brand new and just added onto the menu, I snatched on to that. Hoo boy, was it worth it. Roasted corn with miso butter, fingerling potatoes and scallions.

Hot. Miso. Butter. Do I need to say ANYMORE?



Shortly after, seeing as I shouldn't really eat ramen, I ordered the slow roasted beef brisket on rice, with pickled vegetables and cilantro.

Can I just say. After about a week and a half of barely even touching rice, eating it had never felt this good. Ever. The rice was so well cooked, fluffy and tasty. Not to mention that the beef brisket was full of flavour and so tender. I was continuing to stuff myself even after I was feeling really full...these American servings kill me...



Chill opted for the steamed chicken buns I think. Told him he was missing out for not having the pork belly....



And David tucked into his huge bowl of Momofuku ramen, with not just pork belly but pork shoulder as well. And a poached egg. The broth for this was absolutely delicious, noodles were perfect and pork belly....mmm. Looked like a very delicious bowl of goodness.

It's also really refreshing to see a small limited, focused, menu, rather than a menu that tries to please everybody and encompass everything. The food is fresh, the atmosphere is bustling, what more do you need?

Momofuku Noodle Bar
171 1st Ave
New York, NY 10003

Momofuku Noodle Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    That looks really jummy:)
    And great photos...

    Have a good day - SP

    ReplyDelete